Saturday, September 21, 2019
Embracing Our Practice, Embracing Our Planet
A Day of Mindfulness in the Plum Village Tradition
Of Venerable Thich Nhat Hanh
Saturday, September 21
10am – 4pm
Riverside Church Room 20-Tower
91 Claremont Ave., NYC---(North of 120th Street and West of Broadway)
“There’s a revolution that needs to happen and it starts from inside each one of us. We need to wake up and fall in love with the Earth. Our personal and collective happiness and survival depend on it.”
~ Thich Nhat Hanh
Please join us for a day of respite and renewal in the midst of Climate Week NYC. Together we will enjoy mindful sitting, mindful movement, and mindful eating, and explore practices that cultivate the solidity and mindful presence needed to bring healing to our troubled planet.
“We practice to have enough strength to confront problems effectively.”
~ Thich Nhat Hanh
Please bring your own vegetarian or vegan lunch, and a notebook or journal.
Please do not wear fragrances. Come for all or part of the Day
Chairs and cushions available.
All are welcome!
The day will be facilitated by Anne Woods.
Anne practices with Berkshire Mountain Laurel Sangha in Great Barrington, MA.
She was ordained into the Order of Interbeing in 2011.
Thursday, September 19, 2019
- Schedule=>9:30 a.m. Plum Village practitioners gather with PV monastics for sitting, walking, singingat Jacob Wrey Mould Fountain, City Hall Plaza10:30 a.m. All-Buddhist gathering begins. Same location.11:50 a.m. Walking meditation to youth strike site at Foley Square12:00 p.m. Sitting and walking meditation in support of Youth Climate Strike1-2:00 p.m. Peaceful walking meditation to Battery Park rally3-5:00 p.m Battery Park rally. Greta Thunberg speaks at 5 pmIf there is an appropriate moment, we may invite our bells together. A few posters will be available, or bring your own. Note: wood, plastic, or metal “sticks” are illegal; cardboard & light plastic posts are okay.Instructions and guidance for sangha friends for Sept 20 Climate Strike events
- Sangha members are invited to practice peacefully at any or all of the events above
- Sangha members encouraged to wear brown; OI members wear brown jackets; bring bells!
- Join the sangha at any point in the above schedule. Look for a six foot high banner with Thay’simage and quote, and the Earth Holder logo or a long horizontal banner
- Basic practice at Foley Square and Battery Park: sitting in silence (if feasible) and/or a silent walking meditation (if feasible), and some practitioners holding a sign (“Concerned About Mother Earth? Sister/Brother Citizen Willing to Listen.” Or “Questions or Concerns? Willing to Listen”)
- We agree to practice non-violent, calm, peaceful, attentive presence. It’s possible that we might get separated due to crowd size or other unforeseen possibilities. Look for six foot high banner with Thay’s image, quote, and the Earth Holder logo. However, if separated, please remember that our presence is important, even if not in the sangha group. Maintain mindful breathing and walking as best you can. Support a peaceful and calm environment around you..)
- After the events, post photos, stories, learnings, to Earth Holder Facebook page to inspire others, Snapchat, and Instagram, labeled “Earth Holder Community-Sept 20th”Use Twitter hashtags: #
EarthHolders4ClimateStrike, or, #EHC4ClimateStrike