Sunday, January 6, 2019

Day of Mindfulness January 19 2019

Community of Mindfulness New York Metro
Inspired by the Teaching and Practice of Thich Nhat Hanh
Invites you to a Day of Mindfulness January 19 2019
Unborn and Indestructible
With David Flint
Thay [Thich Nhat Hanh] teaches us  that “the effect of meditation is the fire under a pot, the sun’s rays on the snow, and the hen’s warmth on her eggs….there is no attempt at reasoning or analysis, just patient and continuous concentration [allowing truth to reveal itself.]” With our patient and continuous practice we will “follow our breathing and meditate on the beginningless and endless nature of ourselves and the world.” [From The Sun, My Heart]
In our Day together, we share the Practices of Sitting and Walking Meditation, Total Relaxation, Dharma Sharing, Mindful Eating, Mindful Movements and more: all grounded in mindful breathing and noble silence.*** There will be guided meditations and suggestions for working skillfully with whatever presents itself. And there will also be silent meditations and Individual Practice time. Can we allow the 'ordinary' experiences of our breath and body; sensations and mental activities to reveal 'nirvana,' the 'unconditioned,' the 'Silence that is called Great Joy,' that which is Unborn and Indestructible.


Location: Riverside Church, 91 Claremont Avenue, 20-T
Date/Time: Saturday January 19th. 10:00-4:30pm. [Come for all or part of the Day.]
Schedule
10:00am-4:30pm. Arrive beginning at 9.50am. [Come for all or part of the Day, at anytime.]
10:00-12:50pm: Sitting and Walking Meditation, Mindful Movements, Personal Practice Time.
1:00-1:50: Lunch.  Eaten together in mindfulness and silence.  [Bring your own vegan or vegetarian lunch.]
2:00-2:40: Total Relaxation.
2:50-3:20:  Walking and Sitting Meditation
3:30-4:30: Dharma Sharing. Close the Day.
Beginners Welcome.  Chairs and Cushions Provided.
Please do not wear fragrances; Bring your own vegan or vegetarian lunch.
***Noble Silence means: we refrain from all talking and "chit-chat" except during Dharma Sharing. Thus we support our Sangha Friends in their practice.  And the 'outer silence' allows us to look more deeply into our own life. We allow the calmness and silence to penetrate our flesh and bones.
Teachings for the Day
Unborn and indestructible,
Unborn and indestructible,
Beyond time and space,
Beyond time and space.
This body and these feelings,
Were transmitted to me,
By my mother and my father,
By my teachers, my friends and all living beings.
And that which is transmitted,
Is no less than the transmitter,
And I who receive the transmission,
What am I but that which is transmitted to me?
Unborn and indestructible,
Unborn and indestructible,
Beyond time and space,
Beyond time and space
I am my mother, I am my father,
I am my teachers, I am my friends,
I am one and yet I am many,
I am none, I am all, no beginning, no end.
Unborn and indestructible,
Unborn and indestructible,
Beyond time and space,
Beyond time and space
This body is not me,
These perceptions are not me,
And I am not limited by this body,
I am one with all life, I have always been free.
________________________________________
Where water, earth, fire, and wind have no footing:
There the stars do not shine,
the sun is not visible,
the moon does not appear,
darkness is not found.
And when a sage,
a brahman through sagacity,
has known [this] for himself,
then from form and formless,
from bliss and pain,
  he is freed
[Excerpt from ‘Bahiya Sutta,’  www.accesstoinsight.org]
__________________________________________
When we see there is already a precious jewel in our pocket,
We give up every attitude of craving or coveting. Seeing that we are lions, we do not long to nurse from a mother deer.
Seeing that we are the sun, we give up the candle’s habit of fearing the wind.
Seeing that life has no boundaries, we give up all imprisoning divisions.
[Breathe! You are Alive, 3rd edition, Kindle location 841]
____________________________________________________________